Saturday 14 July 2007

Strange games and funky things


Yesterday, I got a three-month appraisal review from my boss. Nitty-gritty nonsense aside, it was his thoughts on my performance to date. Bear in mind, I work in a place where having a personality is a problem rather than a pleasure. Everybody clashes with their boss, it's true, but believe me, I've tried really hard in the new gig, including having regular chats, started by me, about my progress and attitude etc. Rather surprised then, that in the letter, these friendly chats have been turned into "several clarity talks instigated by me". It seems even the most basic of human functions, like conversations, can be hijacked and turned into appalling managerial bluster. Luckily, I was able to find clarity in the evening by doing my chakras and putting everything in context by watching the splendid Children Of Men, where Clive Owen's wooden-ness is an asset rather than a "climbing-into-the-telly-and-telling-him-to-perk-up-a-bit" inconvenience.

Doing: Last bits of house stuff, trawling Media Guardian, waiting for the sun to burn away the clouds

Listening: A bit of a retro dance day Avalanches/Tricky/Funkadelic/Black Grape/Daft Punk

1 comment:

Benjamin said...

'It seems even the most basic of human functions, like conversations, can be hijacked and turned into appalling managerial bluster.'

Yes. Last week I was interviewed for a one-day-a-week voluntary role in a council iniatitive. Returning to the moronic denial of emotions that is patriarchal office politics does not look like fun. I sympathise.

In the spirit of the days of retro dance: 'Fuck 'em and their laws.' Keep tuning in to the chakras, sounds good.